View of the town from Cowlow Lane
Chapel-en-le-Frith parish highlighted within Derbyshire
|Population||8,635 (Parish, 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||HIGH PEAK|
Dubbed the "Capital of the Peak", as parts of the parish lie within the Peak District National Park, it was established by the Normans in the 12th century, originally as a hunting lodge within the Forest of High Peak. This led to the French-derived name Chapel-en-le-Frith ("chapel in the forest"). (It appears in an English form in a Latin record as 'Chapell in the ffryth', in 1401.) The population at the 2011 census was 8,635.