|Size||12 in × 6 in|
30 cm × 15 cm
|Serial format||ABC 1234|
|Issued by||Michigan Department of State|
|First issued||January 1, 1910|
(pre-state plates from 1905 to December 31, 1909)
The U.S. state of Michigan first required its residents to register their motor vehicles in 1905. Registrants provided their own license plates for display until 1910, when the state began to issue plates.
Plates are currently issued by the Michigan Department of State. Only rear plates have been required since 1981.